Welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by! I hope my little blurbs on life, music, and Soles4Souls give you something to smile about or ponder...

Twitter / tiffanyjohnson_

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Copper John...

If you go to Little Five Points In Atlanta, you find a small man there named John. He has skin the color of hot chocolate, with a gray beard and chances are he will be wearing brown Converse high tops. He sells his jewelry there, necklaces and bracelets made with gold, silver and copper wire formed into intricate pieces. Some holding precious stones, and rings that wrap delicately around your fingers. He is an artist, he is homeless, he says he "retired" from crack after nearly half a lifetime of fighting that addiction.

I googled him tonight and the photos are of a very different man than the one I met yesterday. His eyes twinkle now, he is not as gaunt as the pictures show him to be. Hope is etched into his face.

I believe in divine appointments, and yesterday was one for me with Copper John. He was one of the last to come in for shoes at the Distribution in Atlanta, and I knelt in front of him to fit him for shoes. He was dressed like an artist, and around his neck hung a long charm with a black stone. While I fitted him (he chose the Brown Converse sneakers), I asked about the necklace, and 10 minutes later, he brought some of his treasures down for me to see.

He told me how his jewelry literally had healed him, and kept him alive, and that after years of being addicted to crack, he decided to "retire", and is going through a rehabilitation program in Atlanta. His voice, his face, his body language, EVERYTHING showed me someone who had been lifted out of a dark pit, and he KNEW it, and was grateful for it. He also is keenly aware that God has gifted him with a talent to create beautiful things that can be worn, and what a story to share to someone if you have a piece of his craft. "Copper John made this, let me tell you about him"

I cried, of course, and hugged him after I picked a bronze charm with an amethest stone. And I hugged him again, and held the moment close because moments like this don't come around every day. Again, they are DIVINE. I was mindful of my moment with him, and chose to sit in it, and be blessed by this sweet man who had overcome so much.

This morning as I left Atlanta, I had to pick something up that I left at the mission, and as I turned at the light, Copper John crossed the street, with his rolling backpack, headed to work in little Five Points. I rolled down the window, and called to him and he smiled that sweet smile. I pulled over and got out, and spent 10 more minutes with this precious human being. I told him "John, you were my reason for being in Atlanta". We hugged, and smiled, and talked some more. I left in my car with tears just rolling down my face, so thankful that he walked in and got some shoes, and left me with SO MUCH MORE.

I can't truly verbalize what those moments are like, I just hope and pray the few of you that read this are able to have those moments in your lifetime.

And if you go to Atlanta, and stumble upon little Five Points, find Copper John. Take home a bracelet, necklace or ring. Listen to him and see the light in his eyes, and you will leave with something precious. I promise...

No comments: