Welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by! I hope my little blurbs on life, music, and Soles4Souls give you something to smile about or ponder...

Twitter / tiffanyjohnson_

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Time is Here

I used to wonder why people loved to talk about the past so much. You know how a bunch of old people like to get together and tell stories about when they were young? As I get older, I understand why. Memories, specifically the good ones, have a way of making us feel alive again and whole. They comfort and remind us of a different time, often a better time. Christmas is such a special time of year and for many, it can be very lonely. Christmas memories can be joyful and bittersweet. I was so fortunate to have MANY wonderful Christmases, and hopefully more to come. I want to share a few memories with you.

Christmas Eve was always a time with my Daddy. He was a beautiful man, tall with blond hair, a beautiful smile and green eyes. He always drove a Ford pickup truck, and he would come get me and take me to Grandma Millies. There was always a ton of amazing food, and chocolate eclair cake (that was my favorite!). I felt SO special in that big pickup truck, driving back home to Momma's, looking up through the windshield for a glimpse of Rudolph.

In second grade, I got Mikey the cocker spaniel for Christmas. I walked out of my bedroom and his sweet little head popped up out of the box! The first pictures Momma took of us, I am just hugging him and crying. He was the prettiest puppy in the world! I was SO surprised and OVER THE MOON! What could be better than a puppy for Christmas?

The most precious Christmas gift I received was from my Momma while I was in college. She spent several months making me a beautiful quilt. She had embroidered several quotes and Bible verses on it, and it is a beautiful pattern of hearts. I keep it packed up now, but I just remember opening the gift and being floored at the time, talent, love and effort she had put into that beautiful quilt for me.

The last few years I have spent my Christmas Eve at The Church at Hopepark participating in their Christmas Eve services. It has always been special to share that time with people you love and new people you grow to love, using your gifts for a greater good. There is nothing like it, sharing that time to worship together and celebrate the birth of Christ. I always left those services knowing I had a long drive home ahead, but the feeling of love and community made it an easy drive.

So, Christmas time is here. Make some memories. You might need them one day, to share with others you love, or to remind you that are loved. Merry Christmas.

No comments: